April 17, 2011

I. Give. Up.

 Surrender:
1.to yield (something) to the possession or power of another; deliver up possession of on demand or under duress: to surrender the fort to the enemy.
2. to give (oneself) up.
3.to give (oneself) up to some influence, course, emotion, etc.
4.to give up, abandon, or relinquish (comfort, hope, etc.).
5.to yield or resign (an office, privilege, etc.) in favor of another.
 
I was talking to a friend about how frustrated I was with how things had become. She told me, "maybe it's time to surrender that relationship to God." Wow, she was so right. During the lent season, I went to church and heard the pastor speak about what He had given up for lent. They even had people come up and share testimonies of what they had given up and how it has helped their relationship with God. Originally, I wanted to give up facebook and using my computer for anything other than school. Then lent started, and I didn't.  A couple weeks into it, I decided to give up. It sounds kinda silly to give up "trying" for lent, but that's what I needed to do. I gave up the past, old friendships, how things used to be, etc etc. 

This step is something I am so glad I did. I am finally embracing the place I am, making new friends, growing, and becoming amerced in a new community. I'm happy here.

One of my favorite David Crowder songs, "Foreverandever" has this line that I LOVE:
 
Letting go gives a better grip
I'm finding everything I'll ever need
By giving up gaining everything
 

No comments:

Post a Comment