December 4, 2011

Why?

If you know me, you know I ask why for just about everything. My friends joke that I never grew out of that three-year-old phase where you ask why for everything. I like to understand how things work, why they are the way they are, and what not. I guess that is why I ask why for every question under the sun.
source
Today in church, Pastor Seth talked about the Greatness of God. One key he pointed out at the end of his message really stuck out to me. He was talking about how when people are really suffering, others tend to say things like, "God is in control" or "this is just a part of God's plan." And while God being in control is true,  that doesn't make pain any less painful. God is in control, but that doesn't mean that God desires everything that happens. It does mean, however, that God can work redempitvely through every single situation. No matter what happens, God is bigger. Seth then opened up to the Word to show the cries of some believers truely truely suffering with what God is doing.

"My soul is in anguish. How long, O LORD, how long?" Psalm 6:3

"How long, LORD, must I call for help, but you do not listen? Or cry out to you, 'Violence!' but you do not save?" Habbakuk 1:2

These verses show the question believers should ask God is, "how long?" instead of why. I can honestly say I have asked God why things are happening to me, why I'm facing this, etc etc. But within the past two years, I have grown enough to trust in my Father that I haven't asked that question. I always had enough faith and knowedge of God's character to be able to see past my own pain to know God was up to something I could not understand. Just like children trust their parents, I trust my Father.
source
The thing I find most interesting is that I ask almost all my friends why, why why. But, within the midst of my struggles, I have never asked God why. I fully believe my Father has my back and I trust Him to pull me through. I trust that He is for my good. I trust that this is temporary. I also believe my trust comes directly from knowing the character of God. Since September 1st, when my life shattered apart as I knew it, I have made a point to spend time with God every single day. I desire to know Him. And the more time I spend with Him, the more I love him. The more I want him.

No comments:

Post a Comment