June 30, 2012

Camp: Week 2

This week at Ranch Camp things were very different than last week. This week was Junior High/High School Week. I started off the week counseling by myself, but due to some outside circumstances, I asked to have some help from someone on support staff. Laura was able to jump in and co-counsel with me and it was an answer to prayer for her!

Sunday: Campers Arrived!


Monday: MUSTACHE MONDAY
In Horse Science, we got to paint Sally! My classes rotation group was called Mischef, named after Amy's cute doggy.










Then came rain. rain. rain. A lot of the schudele had to be changed. So we went up to timberline and watched a movie. It was a blast!
taking the stage coach to and from timberline
Jenn and I in front/Laura, Caeli, Mel, and Anne in the back proudly showing off our mustache's
We did some new skits that night and that were pretty much hilarious. 
Canby Grove folks-there's a bar? and the roller coaster skit! I also had a camper throw up that night, so I was so blessed to have Laura with me. I DO NOT HANDLE PUKE WELL.

Tuesday: Eggextraganza (each person wears nylon on their head with an egg in it and when your egg gets cracked by a noodle, you are out!), bloddy nose for one my campers, and campout!

this is how we feel about egg in our hair

At the camp-out, we made hobo stew. You take your pick of food, put it in foil, and cook it over the fire. It was delish! Then we had some worship and Jenn shared a lesson. I told a piece of my testimony about how I felt I was betrayed by a friend. Girls started sharing about bullying and other life experiences. One girl in particular really stuck out to me. I asked her if we could talk, and she was really anxious to hear my story. 

Wednesday:
Campers still asleep when I got up for Staff Meeting
GOOD MORNING


I was really proud of myself this week. Not only did I not wear makeup everyday, but I went more than 1 day without showering. Camp is stretching! The same camper I talked to the night before was anxious to talk to me at Pond Time, so we sat away from everyone else and just talked. I was able to relate to parts of her story with some of my experiences. It was really refreshing for me to see how God was using my experiences to reach out to someone else. I had a really hard week and I felt like God wasn't using me, but this small conversation helped me see that it isn't about me and God works in ways that we do not always understand. But his ways are worth it and always better than we can imagine. 

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." 
Isaiah 55:8-9

I was able to write a note of encouragement to this camper, and I think she really needed it. I shared with her a few bible passages that really comforted me and gave me hope in times of trial. She came to me in tears afterward thanking me so much for those words. I honestly believe God spoke through me cuz I have no idea what I actually wrote in that letter.

Wednesday is also known as WACKY WEDNESDAY. Here is some our of wackiness!


We did a skit at campfire Wednesday night that I really believe campers needed to hear. The story is simple: a girl is given a heart (an apple) from God to protect and guard. Things of the world come in, like popular girls who make her sacrifice who she is, not being able to fit in with others cuz of clothing and money, and lastly, a boy who trompts on her heart. Her heart is demolished and she feels broken. But then God comes back, restores her, and gives her a new heart, that he promises to guard and protect for her if she will let him. 

Thursday: Thursday consisted of Ranch Camp Hoedown and camper skit night, which is pretty much the best night of the week. 

For our skit, Laura and I planned to use all of the injuries for our campers are the story line. Every single girl in our cabin got hurt this week. Lauren threw up in the middle of the night and got a nasty bloody nose that was almost broken, but luckily was not. Amanda got a killer splinter and threw out her arm while vaulting. Emma hurt her knee on the trampoline and got stepped on by her horse. Ira fell off Buddy while vaulting and landed on her hip. Jordan ran into a tree. Cassidy got an intense splinter too, but it didn't happen until the day of our skit. Then Friday while practicing Showdeo, I twisted my ankle and fell in a ditch. We just had major issues with injuries!
Thumbs Up Thursday!

All of Ranch Camp Week 2
Staff Week 2: directors, wranglers, counselors, and of course, Chloe the goat
After the hilarious skits, we entered into a very spirit filled night. Worship was beautiful. Campers clung tightly to my arms and didn't want to let go. People were worshiping and praising God for who He is. Some were overwhelmed with God's love to the point of unending tears. Richard preached the gospel message in a way that helped students and staff see and relate to knowing that NOTHING in this world can satisfy, and you can try it all. God is the only one who can fully satisfy you. He will fill every crack. He will make you whole and complete in Him.We headed to campfire, and campers tossed in sticks showing their commitment to leave their old ways behind and follow hard after God. Some started sharing what God did within their cabins this week and in their own lives. It was so refreshing to see and witness this. This is why I love camp. This is why this ministry works. God is present here and He changes lives. He transforms people like a potter molds clay. I am so happy to be used by God in a miniscule way and be a part of this. 

 Friday: consists of Showdeo, last talks with campers, exchanging information, pictures, packing up camp, and lots and lots of tears.
The progression of pink-red :)
Cabin: Week 2 proudly wearing their Wood Cookies :)
Then we spend the evening having a staff meeting, talking about how God worked this week. I always look forward to that time. Next week, our numbers area really low, so half of the staff requested time off to go home or go on rafting trips. I chose to stay and work, so I got selected to be Ranch Camp Director instead of counseling for the week. This pretty much means I am in charge of Ranch Camp! I'm really excited and pretty nervous all at the same time. It is going to be a great week. Then, camp ends Thursday evening and Staff Retreat starts!

Prayer Requests:
  • That counselors would get the rest they need for the next week and have energy despite the low numbers of campers in Ranch Camp and Timberline
  • That those off camp would be safe and make wise decisions as well
  • For staff unity over the retreat 
  • For me to work well with other leadership staff and make wise decisions when staff come to me with problems or issues in the week
  • For staff to stay rooted in the word and spend time with God
Praise:
  • That many campers last week understood and took their relationship with Jesus to the next level
  • For God working through campers to touch my life and encourage me
  • For the many many many answered prayers this week
  • The fires in Etna near Kidder Creek were quickly contained 
  • For staff unity and bonding that is starting to happen

No comments:

Post a Comment