September 14, 2011

No, I think I can do better

 I never thought pride was something I struggled with. I assumed that because I lack an extreme amount self-confidence that I must not struggle with pride. That's a sin for those people, ya know the ones. Anyway, as I learn more about what pride is, I'm thinking that it's a problem for people like me. Actually, not just people like me, but in fact me. 

A few weeks back at Evan's church, Nick was talking about pride.  When I heard this sermon initally, I thought, "wow, I can't get anything out of this one," but I was wrong. Nick was calling us to be humble and not prideful. He said, "when we think we're done learning, we're done." It's important to have a humble heart that is always willing and ready to learn. 

 
Then this past Sunday, at my church, Seth was talking about pride. He was saying that pride is living autonomously to God and refusing to acknowledge that we are Creation, not the Creator. In my life, I have developed by pride by trying to take control and not allowing God to be in control (which He is anyway). This pattern leads to idolatry, which then leads to sin. And I'm realizing the weight of my sin. The consequences. The dirtiness of it. But at the same time, I'm also realizing the beauty of the cross. The glory of God's grace. 
I'm overwhelmed by the goodness of the Lord. It feels so much better to live through God's strength then thinking I can do better and trying to live on my own. God, your way is much better than mine. 

"'For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
   neither are your ways my ways,'
            declares the LORD.  
'As the heavens are higher than the earth,
   so are my ways higher than your ways
   and my thoughts than your thoughts." 
Isaiah 55:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment